Saturday, March 7, 2020

Watch with me

Some recent experiences have turned my mind toward wonderful people who are suffering from depression and anxiety. I want to share a brief thought that I had as I read a sacred account in the Bible that might be helpful to someone who is currently going through this very difficult trial.
As the Savior approached the Garden of Gethsemane outside the walls of Jerusalem on the eve of his suffering and crucifixion, He made a statement that has left a significant impression on my mind as of late. He said,
“My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even unto death”.
What was He saying?
I am not going to pretend to understand everything that was meant by that simple but heavy statement, but to understand it better I looked at different bible translations of that same phrase in Matthew 26:38. Here is how they read:
"My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death”-New International Version
“My soul is crushed with grief to the point of death”. -
New Living Translation
“My soul is very sorrowful, even to death”.- English Standard Version
“My soul is consumed with sorrow to the point of death”. -Berean Study Bible
"My soul is deeply grieved, to the point of death”.-New American Standard Bible
"I am so sad that I feel as if I am dying”.-Contemporary English Version
"The sorrow in my heart is so great that it almost crushes me”.-Good News Translation
As I read these heartbreaking lines and thought of what the Savior was experiencing, I also thought of those I love, and even those I don’t know, who experience deep levels of sorrow and depression. I was impressed and instructed by how the Savior responded to what he was feeling.
He said to His closest friends, “tarry you here, and watch with me”.

Think of that, when Jesus, who is our perfect example in all things, felt overwhelmed, crushed and consumed with sorrow, He told His friends how He felt, and He asked them to watch with Him.
Maybe there are a few lessons in this.

If you are reading this and you feel overwhelmed, crushed, or consumed by sorrow, it does not make you imperfect, or flawed. We know that because our perfect flawless Savior felt those feelings.
If you are feeling overwhelmed, crushed, or consumed by sorrow, tell your family, friends, and others who care. As the Savior did ask those who love you... "Watch with me".

If you are feeling overwhelmed, crushed, or consumed by sorrow pray unto God as Jesus did. As you may know, His suffering was not removed, but God did send an angel to comfort Him, and maybe God will do the same for you.
Please, don’t suffer in silence. Let those who love you know what you are feeling so that they can mourn with you, comfort you and watch with you. There are so many who love you and want to be there for you. Some notice your sorrow but are afraid to talk to you about it because they are afraid of offending you.
If the stigma surrounding mental health challenges could diminish, I believe the overall effect of those challenges would diminish also. So for those who have never experienced these intense feelings of sorrow, please don’t ever criticize those who are experiencing it, or give bumper sticker advice to their very complicated struggle.
Watch with them, be there for them, mourn with them, comfort them. Remember that when we judge harshly or talk ill of those who have these struggles that there is One who once felt as they did, and He is the One who saved you, and He is The Judge who is full of empathy for those who are crushed by sorrow. Just love people, that is our simple job.

4 comments:

  1. This Is Really Useful And Nice Information. สูตรแทงบอลเดี่ยว
    This are such great articles. สูตรแทงบอลเดี่ยว This articles can help you to make some new ideas.
    สูตรแทงบอลเดี่ยว I appreciate for reading my blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This are new articles style for you. สูตรแทงบอลเดี่ยว You can find some new idea on this. สูตรแทงบอลเดี่ยว It might help you to write or think some new idea.
    สูตรแทงบอลเดี่ยว Thanks for sharing such a wonderful post.
    สูตรแทงบอลเดี่ยว I am very glad for reading my articles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete